Pages

Thursday 18 July 2013

Nurse, will I die soon?

Death is the nature of life cycle. The minute some people smile to the babies that are just born to this world, someone cries for lost their loved one in that minute. It just takes place at different place all over the world. Nobody like to talk about death for them keep death as a taboo which no one will like to face of. 

Some people see death as the penalty of the life while some people see death as the end of suffering. Meanwhile, some people see death as the time to return to God. The way that people see death may be different but death is still the most painful moment for everyone including you and me. No one knows what happen after death and only He know what He has prepared for us.

It is neither easy for let someone express their fear of death nor losing someone who they love. When they pass away, they left the most precious memory to us who are still alive. We may cry for the loss and even upset why He take away them from us but that is the truth of the life.

When we are used to be kids last time, we make our parents busy to look after us especially when we run up and down while they chasing from the back just to get us dress up. Then when we grow up to be teenagers, we made our parents busy to worry about us when we always quarrel with them for not understanding us. Next, when we works at oversea or somewhere far from our home, we make them worry to think what we eat, how we are there and some of us may not even think to call home. Do you really understand the feeling of waiting? Perhaps every parents will wait for their children to call home just to know they are doing well. Yet, some people never appreciate the chance to call home until one day, they receive the news that one of their parents has passed away. At that time, nothing can be done except grieving and regret for not appreciate them while they are alive. So, if you still have parents to call of, have you ever call them and tell them how much you love them? Let the caring be sounded.

Few months back while I worked at Oncology Ward in a hospital, there was a young man same age as mine had diagnosed as nasopharyngeal cancer stage two. He is unmarried and uncouple yet he has been tested on the remaining time that he probably may has. He has a such wonderful and lovely mother who care for him in the hospital all the time. 

When I first saw him, he was thinking alone while lying on the bed. His mother was not with him at that time. I performed my daily nursing routine and took vital signs for him. Then, we started to be friends. I was shocked initially when I saw his age, diagnosing as nasopharyngeal cancer. Deep inside my heart, I said, "He is still young. What he is going to do after this?"

Then I talked with him, interviewed him and his facial expression can tell me how he feel about his disease. Suddenly, he asked me a question which I not ready to answer him.

"Nurse, will I die soon? Everyone know cancer can kill people." He looked at me with full of despair and hopelessness. Somehow I can feel the heat of the fear from him.

I paused, and silent after heard this question. 

"What I'm going to to tell him?", my heart said.

Finally, I smiled and came with an answer, "As long as you never give up with your life, you will still have the chance to live. So, keep on trying."

He nodded his head and smiled back to me. Perhaps my answer had opened his heart which no one told him like that before.

His question also opened my eyes which I never think of. While I'm busy to catch up my dream, I forgot that I also never know when I will leave this world and other family members also have the battle for the remaining time. Aging process will take place no matter how we try to stop it and soon it will be ended with death.

Hence, appreciate everyone you love and tell them how much you love them while both you and them still has the chance.

This story dedicated to all cancer patients who are still fighting against cancer and let's us support them with our warmest love.




No comments:

Post a Comment